Do you love a good road trip? We do! Road trips make travel affordable and fun. But the fun and affordability can end quickly if you don’t take care of some basic safety before you leave. Follow our road trip safety tips to make sure you get to your destination safely!
Road Trip Safety Tips
1. Always Get a Tune Up. Make sure your car is in good running condition. This should include checking fluid levels, a tire inspection, a most definitely a brake inspection. Get the belts inspected, too! Knowing you vehicle is in good working order will not only help keep your family safe but also reduces stress and worry.
2. Double Check all Safety Seats. In my opinion, this is probably the most important safety precaution parents can take with their kids. Properly installed and fitting car safety seats can significantly reduce the chances of serious injury and even death if you are ever involved in a car accident.
3. Be Prepared for Emergencies. Do you have a first aid kit in the car? When was the last time you took a peak inside? Make sure you check it before you go. You will want all the standard stuff…bandaids, Neosporin, motion sickness medicine, etc. Being prepared for emergencies on the road needs to go beyond a first aid kit. Make sure you also have a flashlight, blanket, water, jumper cables, flares, and keep your cell phone charged.
4. Know Your Route. Map It! Having a GPS device or a mapping app on your phone is not enough. I learned this the hard way. During our epic road trip last summer, my GPS device stopped working and my phone did not have service because the signal was too weak. Without a basic list of roads to take or a physical map we were left to guess which way to go. It was stressful and kid of scary.
5. Take Breaks! Get Plenty of Sleep the Night Before. Driving wile tired can be extremely dangerous. Not only is it possible to fall asleep behind the wheel but your reaction times might be slower than when you are fully rested and alert. Just stopping at a rest area to stretch and walk for a few minutes can help you shake off the road fog.
Finding Great Road Trip Vehicles
If you decide that road tripping is something you want to do more and more, but your current vehicle isn’t big enough or comfortable enough for long trips, you should consider finding a new or at least new to you road trip vehicle. A great place to start your research is Cars.com. You can look up vehicles by make, model, and year to find tons of information about the vehicles you are considering. You can check safety ratings, seating capacity, a list of notable features, and reviews. When you are ready to buy the perfect road trip vehicle, Cars.com can help you with that too!
Now is the perfect time to start planning for your next road tripping adventure. Make sure you follow our basic road trip safety tips and hit the highway for some great affordable family fun!
If your next road trip takes you across the Canadian Border, be sure to read up on our Border Crossing Tips.